MSc Genomic Medicine
The MSc in Genomic Medicine is a full-time, one-year multidisciplinary programme embedded within the Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics. It draws upon diverse expertise at the University of Oxford to train students in this rapidly developing and critical area of medicine.
The application and integration of genomics in medicine will enable faster and more accurate diagnosis, radically change the classification and understanding of disease, and enable individualised therapies that maximise benefit and reduce adverse effects. More widely, genomic medicine is massively enabling drug discovery, the design of clinical trials and vaccinology as well as our understanding of the genetic basis of disease.
Oxford has unique strengths in genomic medicine that include world-leading expertise in diverse aspects of genomic science coupled with direct links to clinical and translational medicine, providing an outstanding and inspiring learning environment.
introduction to msC genomic medicine
This course aims to provide students from diverse academic backgrounds with the necessary core knowledge and skills in genomic science applied to medicine, in order to be successful in an academic, health care or industry career path.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Understand the principles, importance and relevance of genomic medicine in a variety of contexts
- Understand methods, study design and current technologies used to investigate genetic disease
- Be familiar with key developments, initiatives and resources in the genomic era that have advanced the field
- Understand genomic data pipelines and bioinformatics principles, and demonstrate awareness of the complexities surrounding data interpretation
- Have the ability to critically appraise and interpret the relevant scientific literature
- Develop an understanding of the role and impact of genomic medicine in public health, translation into clinical practice, associated issues and future needs
- Gain in-depth knowledge of specific relevant topics through literature review and extended essay assignments
- Conduct a high-quality research project, demonstrating good experimental design principles and appropriate methods for data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Develop the communication skills required to operate effectively in a multidisciplinary environment