In addition to their research programmes, some of our core groups offer a range of scientific services to research groups in the Centre itself, in other University of Oxford departments, and in other institutions. In addition the Centre also provides free access to a number of databases and software applications.
For more information on specific core groups, follow the links alongside or below.
The Oxford Genomics Centre provides:
Guidance and assistance in the choice of the appropriate genomic technology and experimental designs on research and clinical projects.
A comprehensive offering of genomics applications utilising many of the latest cutting edge commercial technology platforms.
- High-Throughput Sequencing (Illumina NovaSeq, NextSeq and MiSeq, ONT MinION, PromethION)
- Genotyping and Methylation Studies (Illumina)
- Expression Profiling (Illumina)
- Single-cell isolation and analysis (10X Genomics, Sony FACS)
- Highly automated processes (Labcyte, Wafergen and Beckman)
- LIMS sample tracking
Bioinformatics and Statistical Genetics
BSG provides advice and support in the following areas:
- Advice on experimental design
- Processing and analysis pipelines for NGS data (Illumina and ONT) and microarrays
- Ensuring high data quality and providing QC reports
- Extensive informatics support for tracking, processing and managing large volumes of raw sequence data
- Training and advice on the use of a variety of bioinformatics tools and analyses
- Collaborating with research groups to perform downstream analyses
- Developing software tools to aid scientists in the analysis of omic datasets
- Evaluating data from trials of cutting-edge technologies and methodologies (e.g. single-cell)
- Assistance with manuscript preparation and submitting data to public repositories
Chromosome Dynamics provides:
- A range of different fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) applications
- Related tissue culture techniques
- Probe preparation
- Support with cytological techniques, including Immunofluorescence and Chromogenic RNA in situ hybridization (ISH)
Cellular Imaging provides:
- State-of-the-art laboratories for fluorescence microscopy and spectroscopy with technical assistance in digital imaging and quantitative microscopy applied to live cells.
- The Cellular Imaging Core performs research and development of cutting-edge fluorescence microscopy techniques. Lifetime Imaging, Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy and Super-Resolution microscopy approaches are available.
- The Cellular Imaging Core also disseminates knowledge of fluorescence spectroscopic applications to the scientific community.
- Generation of genetically modified mice models
- Gene targeting in embryonic stem cells
- Knock-out and Knock-in construct design
- Generation of Rosa26 Knock-in mice
- Embryo transfer of strains for importing into the FGF
- Cryopreservation of strains
- Assisted reproduction
Biomedical Research Computing
Biomedical Research Computing provides:
- A local facility for high-performance computing across WHG and BDI
- High-performance batch (cluster) computing: Univa Grid Engine with nearly 7000 CPU cores and 60 GPU cards
- Shared use of an extensive suite of >300 properly compiled and installed scientific applications
- Large, fast storage systems: 10PB of Spectrum Scale (GPFS) at up to 50GB/s
- Oxford's only on-premise cloud platform: OpenStack platform with 1200 CPU cores and 40 GPU cards backed by 300TB NVMe Ceph at up to 80GB/s
- A cheap tier of storage for holding old data: currently (Jan 2019) £10.60 per terabyte per six months
- State-of-the-art networking including 100Gbit/s Open Ethernet using Cumulus, EDR (100Gbit/s) InfiniBand and a private 400Gbit/s link between WHG and BDI
- Oxford's only high-compliance secure VDI/cloud platform
- Test-and-dev platforms for OpenStack, oVirt and S3 object storage
- Training and workshops on using these facilities
- Network infrastructure and server hosting
- Email services
- Network printing
- Shared network storage, data archiving, backup and file recovery
- Secure web hosting
- Remote access facilities (Dial-up, ISDN, VPN and Windows application servers)
- Network, server and workstation security
- End user support