Foteini (Fainia) Kavvoura
Academic Clinical Lecturer in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Fainia studied medicine at the University of Ioannina, School of Medicine, Greece. Early on, in her undergraduate years, she became interested in research and under the supervision of Prof JP Ioannidis she embarked on projects looking into the genetic predisposition to diabetes. Fainia had published 3 research papers before graduating from Medical School. Upon graduation, Fainia pursued a PhD in genetic epidemiology, funded by a EU research grant. Part of her research led to the development of the Strengenthing of Reporting of Genetic Association Studies (STREGA) statement.
Following the completion of her PhD, Fainia moved to England to continue her clinical training initially at Cambridge (Core Medical Training) and then at Oxford (Diabetes & Endocrinology).
As part of her Academic Clinical Lecturer post, Fainia splits her time between research in the genetics of diabetes and clinical training in diabetes & endocrinology, at OCDEM. She is also involved in teaching junior doctors and medical students attached to the department. Since joining OCDEM in 2012, she has been organising the regional Specialist Registrars teaching in diabetes and endocrinology for the Oxford Deanery, held 4 times a year.
Fainia’s research interests include young adult onset diabetes and its differential diagnosis. She is looking into ways of improving the currently available tools, by using genomic information and examining atypical diabetes cases to identify whether genetics can assist in deciphering the aetiology behind these cases and potentially optimise their management.
- Kavvoura F, Raimondo A, Thanabalasingham G, Barrett A, Webster A, Shears D, Mann N, Ellard S, Gloyn A, Owen K. Reclassification of diabetes etiology in a family with multiple diabetes phenotypes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Feb 27:jc20133641.
- Simmonds MJ, Kavvoura FK, Brand OJ, Newby PR, Jackson LE, Hargreaves CE, Franklyn JA, Gough SC. Skewed X chromosome inactivation and female preponderance in autoimmune thyroid disease: an association study and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan;99(1):E127-31.
- Kavvoura FK, Owen KR. Maturity onset diabetes of the young: clinical characteristics, diagnosis and management. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2012 10(2):234-42.
- Kavvoura FK, Pappa M, Evangelou E, Ntzani EE. The genetic architecture of type 2 diabetes pharmacotherapy: the emerging genomic evidence. Curr Pharm Des. 2014;20(22):3610-9.
- Kavvoura FK, McQueen MB, Khoury MJ, Tanzi RE, Bertram L, Ioannidis JPA. Evaluation of the potential excess of statistically significant findings in reported genetic association studies: application to Alzheimer’s disease Am J Epidemiol 2008 168(8): 855-65