In addition to their research programmes, some of our core groups offer a range of scientific services to research groups in the Centre itself, in other University of Oxford departments, and in other institutions. In addition the Centre also provides free access to a number of databases and software applications.
For more information on specific core groups, follow the links alongside or below.
High-Throughput GenomicsHigh-Throughput Genomics provides:
- High-Throughput Sequencing (Illumina HiSeq 2000 and MiSeq)
- Genotyping and Methylation Studies - Illumina, Sequenom
- Expression Profiling - Illumina, Sequenom
Bioinformatics and Statistical GeneticsBSG provides advice and support, and undertakes collaborative research, in the areas of:
- Statistical genetics, eg genetic association analysis, power calculations etc
- Gene annotation, including DNA and protein sequence analysis and textual data-mining
- Microarrays, for gene expression, tiling arrays, CNV discovery, ChiP-chip analysis etc
- Next-generation sequencing (Illumina GA-II and Roche/454 FLX), including alignment to reference genomes, SNP calling, development of new algorithms etc
- Database development (eg the Integrated Genotyping System) and general programming.
- Maintaining the WTCHG's scientific computing infrastructure, including numerous servers and a 1000-core cluster.
The core also carries out independent research in areas related to the Centre's activities.
Chromosome Dynamics provides:
- A range of different fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) applications
- Related tissue culture techniques
- Probe preparation
- Support with cytological techniques, including Immunofluorescence and Chromogenic RNA in situ hybridization (ISH)
Cellular Imaging provides:
State-of-the-art laboratories for fluorescence microscopy and spectroscopy with technical assistance in digital imaging and quantitative microscopy applied to live cells.
- The Cellular Imaging Core performs research and development of cutting-edge fluorescence microscopy techniques. Lifetime Imaging, Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy and Super-Resolution microscopy approaches are available.
- The Cellular Imaging Core also disseminates knowledge of fluorescence spectroscopic applications to the scientific community.
- Generation of genetically modified mice models
- Gene targeting in embryonic stem cells
- Knock-out and Knock-in construct design
- Generation of Rosa26 Knock-in mice
- Embryo transfer of strains for importing into the FGF
- Cryopreservation of strains
- Assisted reproduction
IT and Computing
IT and Computing provide:
- Network infrastructure and server hosting
- Email services
- Network printing
- Shared network storage, data archiving, backup and file recovery
- Secure web hosting
- Remote access facilities (Dial-up, ISDN, VPN and Windows application servers)
- Network, server and workstation security
- End user support