Building on our inheritance: Genomic technology in healthcare
A report by the Human Genomics Strategy Group. January 2012.
A new report has been released to Ministers on genomic technology, which highlights the UK's achievements in genetics research to date and recommends a series of points to ensure future benefit of genomic innovation for the NHS and patients.
The report by the independent Human Genomics Strategy Group, chaired by Professor Sir John Bell and advised by committee member Professor Gil McVean, makes six recommendations to government:
- to develop a cross-cutting strategic document, to set out the direction on genomic technology adoption in the NHS
- to develop a national central genomic data storage facility
- that the NHS Commissioning Board should lead on developing genomic technology adoption
- to work to develop a service delivery model for genomic technologies
- that the NHS should continue to develop genomics education and training
- to raise public awareness of genomic technology and it's benefits.